Thursday, November 3, 2011

Discipline

He was mad because I didn't give him another marshmallow fast enough. :P
I know this blog is supposed to be about my favorite things and discipline is probably my least favorite.   Discipline is such a touchy subject.  Everyone has their own opinion on discipline when it comes to parenting.  I don't prefer to debate the choices in discipline and I honestly don't think there is a right or wrong way to discipline.  Remember, I'm talking about discipline not abuse.  I do feel that there must be some kind of discipline though. 

I often find myself doubting myself and my discipline choices.  Am I being too hard on my children or too lenient?  Am I spending the time to truly teach my child right from wrong?  I'm constantly wondering, hoping, praying that I'm doing it right. 

As a teacher, my views on discipline are a bit different.  I've learned that every child responds differently to different things.  Many schools follow a positive behavior system and I think that is part of the answer.  Children need to feel positive about themself, but they also need consequences.

I have a friend who knows someone (details aren't important) who's child got in trouble at school (ie suspendable offense, so it must have been pretty serious).  Within a week of returning to school from suspension the child got into trouble for the same offense on Halloween Day and was still allowed to Trick or Treat that night.  I don't know all the details of the situation, so I can't say 100% for sure that  I disagree with this parent's discipline.  My first thought was "seriously?!".  I thought about my children and what I'd done if they were older and had gotten into that much trouble at school.  I'm pretty sure the offending child would not be trick or treating.  I almost told Sissy no trick or treating because she didn't take a nap.  I had to remind myself that she is 4yrs old now and is probably growing out of the nap.  Instead, I told her that as soon as she got whiny from being over tired that we were going home.  She actually did well while we were out.  When we were done she actually said "I want to go home." 

I started this post before I read and heard about the incident with the Texas judge.  http://abcnews.go.com/US/judge-beat-daughter-remorseful/story?id=14873563

I don't even know where to begin on this one!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...